Vision and Mission:
Department of Surgery under the leadership of Prof Khwaja M Azim is committed to research and innovation. We started Shalamar Surgical Research Initiative 7 years back with vision and mission to train and teach students, interns and postgraduates, which is bearing fruits now.
Department has designed many important instruments and have answered many important scientific questions in surgery. We have developed many tools like PreODIT to measure the difficulty in thyroidectomy, Shalamar Online Learning Experience Measure (SOLEM), Curriculum Compass etc.
Research Team & Members
Patron: Prof Khwaja M Azim FRCS, HOD Surgery
Team Leader: Dr Talat Waseem FRCS Eng, FACS, DM, MME,
1. Hussain Z, Zahid R, Waseem T. Applications of Radiomics in Breast Surgery. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(3):24-27.
2. Waseem T, Ahmed SZ, Baig H, Ashraf MH, Azim A, Azim KM. Truncal vs Branch Ligation of Inferior Thyroid Arteries in Total Thyroidectomy: Does It Affect Postoperative Hypoparathyroidism? Otolaryngol Neck Surg. Published online 2020:0194599820957283.
3. Waseem T, Azim KM. Preoperative Difficulty Index for Thyroidectomy (PreODIT): A Novel, Reliable, Content Valid, and Valuable Tool. J Am Coll Surg. 2020;231(4):e115-e116.
4. Ahmed SZ, Zafar Z, Waseem T, Rafiq F. To Drain or Not to Drain in Thyroidectomy: A Meta-analysis of Outcomes. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(2):6-17.
5. Jamil F, Farooqi S, Waseem T. Why the Art of Clinician Is Dying? Opinions & Judgements: A Systematic Review. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(2):58-63.
6. Ashraf H, Shafiq MM, Ahmed SZ, Waseem T. Pre-Operative Parathyroid Gland Localization in Primary Hyperparathyroidism: A Systematic Literature Review. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(1):41-51.
7. Arif S, Waseem T. Managing Cognitive Retention of Surgical Graduate with Improved Techniques: Lessons from Cognitive Psychology. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(2):54-57.
8. Saeed A, Nousherwani MD, Waseem T, Zafar Z, Mehmood Z, Usman J. Impact of Personal Protective Equipment on Surgeon’s Performance during COVID-19 Crisis: Qualitative Exploration of Challenges and Solutions. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(2):28-35.
9. Zahara FT, Zafar Z, Waseem T, Shoaib H. Quality Assurance Of Online Surgical Learning Process: Development and Validation of Shalamar Online Learning Experience Measure (SOLEM). Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(1):22-32.
10. Ahmed AS, Ahmed SZ, Ahmed M, Waseem T. Emerging Trends in Managing Central Breast DCIS in Era of Oncoplastic Surgery: Where Do We Stand? Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(2):20-27.
11. Ahmed AS, Ahmed SZ, Zaib N, Waseem T. Evolving Management Options for Breast Cancer in Era of Oncoplastic and Reconstructive Breast Surgery: Where Do We Stand? Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(1):59-65.
12. Ahmad SZ, Waseem T, Zafar Z, Abid M, Azim KM. Impact of Branch vs. Truncal Ligation of Inferior Thyroid Arteries on Post-Thyroidectomy Hypocalcaemia: A Meta-Analysis of Controlled Trials. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(1):8-17.
13. Waseem T. Stomach or Colon for Esophageal Replacement? What Prof Haider Thought! Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(3):1-2.
14. Ashraf H, Waseem T. The Rising Need for Endocrine Surgery Fellowship in Pakistan. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(3):2-4.
15. Waseem T, Ahmad SZ, Zafar Z, Ashraf MH, Azim KM. How to Decide for Drain Placement During Thyroidectomy? Qualitative Exploration to Formulation of a Decision Tree. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(3):5-11.
16. Waseem T, Munir Baig H, Yasmin R, Ahmad Khan R. Exploring Operating Room-Based Student Learning Experience: Perils & Pitfalls? A Narrative Literature Review. Arch Surg Res. 2020;1(1):38-46.
17. Waseem T, Ashraf MH, Rabbani S, Shoaib H, Khan RA. Evolving role of social networking sites in undergraduate surgical education: student perspective. Pak J Med Heal Sci. 2019;13:894-899.
18. Waseem T, Azim KM. Preoperative Difficulty Index for Thyroidectomy (PreoDIT): A Novel Preoperative Roadmap. J Am Coll Surg. 2019;229(4):e104.
19. Waseem T, Azim A, Ashraf MH, Azim KM. Roux-en-Y augmented gastric advancement: An alternative technique for concurrent esophageal and pyloric stenosis secondary to corrosive intake. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2016;8(12):766-769. doi:10.4240/wjgs.v8.i12.766
20. Ashraf MH, Azim A, Waseem T, Azim KM. A Rare Salivary Duct Parotid Tumor; Management By Total Conservative Parotidectomy And Free Flap Transfer. Prof Med J. 2016;23(9):1163-1166.
21. Ashraf A, Azim A, Azim KM, Waseem T. Papillary Thyroid Microcarcinoma Presenting as Horner’s Syndrome: A Novel Clinical Presentation. Am J Cancer Case Reports. 2016;4(1):38-43.
22. Azim A, Altaf R, Waseem T, Ashraf MH, Azim KM. Xanthogranulomatous Cholecystitis Mimicking as Gallbladder Carcinoma：A Caution for Hepatobiliary Surgeon. Am J Cancer Case Reports. 2016;4(2):101-105.
23. Arif S, Waseem T, Javaid-ur-Rehman Ashraf D, Ahmad F. Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy; Is It Really Superior To Conventional Hemorrhoidectomy? A Longterm Analysis. Prof Med J. 2016;23(12):1505-1512.
24. Azim A, Mir F, Waseem T, Azim M K. Non-Alpine Epithelioid Angiosarcoma of Thyroid Gland: A Rare Clinical Scenario. Am J Cancer Case Reports. 2016;4(2):152-155.
25. Waseem T, Azim A, Ashraf MH, Azim KM. Roux-en-Y augmented gastric advancement (RAGA): An alternative technique for concurrent esophageal and pyloric stenosis secondary to corrosive intake. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2016;8(12):766-769.
1. Validation of PreODIT in multiple centers
2. Curriculum Compass Design and Validation, Endocrine Surgery Fellowship Program
3. Radiomics in Endocrine Surgery
4. Artificial Intelligence in Surgical Decision Making of Thyroid Nodules
5. Endocrine Surgery- Recent Advances